Job Opening: Business Manager
CIPTF is an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin. We value diversity and inclusion and seek to build and maintain a community and culture that celebrates and values diverse backgrounds, identities, and perspectives. We consider equivalent combinations of experience and education for jobs, and all candidates who believe they possess equivalent experience and education are encouraged to apply.
See below for details and application procedure!
- Manage the finances of the organization, including but not limited to accounts payable/receivable; bank & credit card reconciliation; relevant balance sheet account reconciliation; ensure appropriate restrictions on contributed income.
- Monitor cash flow on a weekly basis for immediate and long-term need.
- Update on a monthly basis, or as requested by Executive Director, fiscal year projections by month & project.
- Collect receipts for company debit & credit card expenditures; manage/set up online expense reporting system
- Manage annual budgeting process in coordination with Executive Director & Artistic Director.
- Monitor independent contractor agreements and make payments accordingly.
- Oversee bank, savings, credit card, lines of credit and any investment accounts.
- Maintain sales tax exemption for Illinois and Wisconsin.
- Attend all finance committee meetings, and if requested, board meetings.
- Manage fiscal sponsorship financial activity and reporting, including accounts payable/receivable and 1099 liabilities
- Run monthly payroll (currently automated) with appropriate deductions; ensure timely payroll tax payments.
- Provide accurate W2s, 1099s, and 1042-Ss for all paid staff, guest artists and contractors to both the individuals and agencies in a timely manner.
Reporting & Filing:
- Responsible for timely filing of:
—Federal 941 quarterly
—State 941 quarterly
—IL UI-3/40 quarterly
—Wisconsin tax filings, TBD
—Illinois sales tax annual, when appropriate
—Annual W2s to employees and IRS
—Annual 1099s to contractors and 1096 to IRS
—Annual 1042-S’s to foreign contractors and 1096 to IRS
—Annual report to IL Secretary of State
—Annual 990 and ILAG990 through auditor
- Compile all necessary reports and documents for finance committee and board meetings.
- Reconcile contributed income with development coordinator across systems on a regular basis (Spektrix, Paypal and Quickbooks Online).
- Create templates for budgets and final reports for grantwriter as requested.
- Lead annual audit through independent auditor and steward its timely completion.
- Compile all necessary documentation for the smooth running of the administration including grant agreements, bank statements, outstanding payables/receivables, insurance policies, and board minutes.
- Draft Contractor, Guest Artist, Staff, Presenter, Contractor and Partner contracts as necessary with Artistic Director and Executive Director with volunteer legal support; lead approval and signatory process via Docusign.
- Support new employee infrastructure: email, Google Drive, payroll paperwork, etc.
- Manage digital archiving of official records, contracts and letters of agreement.
- Maintain company login information
- Order office supplies; maintain water cooler delivery schedule and payments
- Manage liability insurance policy, audit, renewal and requests for Certificates of Insurance
- Act as administrator of company Google account and other IT services as needed.
- Support Box Office, Marketing, and Development departments as follows
- Set up performance events in Spektrix with appropriate venue location, capacity, ticket locks, dates/times, promo codes, etc. in collaboration with webmaster and other festival staff
- Manage credit card processing (Vantiv) and reconciliation with Spektrix
- Lead on-site ticket purchases; email inquiries; process purchases by phone; process ticket exchanges upon request; process return tickets
- Hire, train, and oversee any paid box office assistants; in relationship to gathering box office payments
Customer Service + Communications
- Respond to all email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org email inquiries
- Respond to all box office phone inquiries
Development Data/Database Management
- Reconcile Spektrix data with Quickbooks with regards to contributed income and ticket sales
- Manage Spektrix backend to update Reporting, Lists, and Tags functions
- Compile donor & foundation acknowledgement letters and oversee timely distribution
- Compile development reports for board meetings
- Pull and edit patron lists reports for mailings, data management
- Support the preparation and distribution of donation acknowledgement letters in collaboration with the development coordinator as needed
Knowledge, Skills + Experience Required
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting/Finance or related field;
- Minimum 5 years of not-for-profit accounting knowledge and management experience;
- Extensive background in accounting and audit functions; Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Deep expertise in and experience with accounting and audit procedures and financial controls.
- Proficient in the use of technology including a thorough understanding of and experience with general ledger systems; complete knowledge of QuickBooks required. Related software knowledge a plus for example: PayPal, Spektrix, or other donation and box office systems.
- Commitment to working with a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate effectively and a supportive approach to working with artists, staff and other key stakeholders from varied backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board, committees or other outside partners.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels of expertise including finance and non-finance experts.
~4 days/week; Hybrid remote
$50,000-52,000 (includes a small health stipend, no health benefits)
The Chicago International Puppet Theater Festival
(at the Fine Arts Building)
410 S. MIchigan Ave. Suite 310, Chicago IL 60605